Yesterday I finished up the day by attaching mull and headbands to the book. I let them dry over night. I was really pleased with the result when I looked through them this morning. The headbands I chose are golden.
The next step involves making the cases for the binding. During the design process, I bound a dummy and glued the front title to the cover. This worked really well for The Age Of Malygris/Clark Ashton Smith/Pegana Press 2014, because that title was on a really thin paper. The paper we're using for the title of The Golden Key is much thicker and I could see that it would be subject to wear unless it was inset into the cover.
That means before making the cases, I need to make the insets into the boards used for the front cover. This is done by hand, as crazy as that sounds. But I've had a lot of practice with the Lost Tales books.
The inset of this book is quite large, because it has to accommodate the illustration on the front title. I made two more dummy bindings with the insets to make sure the design would work.
Besides getting the boards ready, I need to cut the book cloth to the right size. I've always used a cotton dubletta cloth on all our books, so I've continued with dubletta and for this edition we've chosen yellow to fit in with the title.
Another important step is to create the spine reinforcements which create a flat spine for our letterpress spine titles. This was decided upon when we made our first case bound book for the Lost Tales series. Having collected books in our personal library with traditional spines, has taught us a valuable lesson about how paper titles glued to a spine can chip and crumble with handling over time. The books with spine reinforcements create a flat spine, and those seem to cause less wear to a paper title.
Therefore, each spine reinforcement also has to be cut by hand. This is one of the hardest jobs to get precise, but I feel that this extra step is worth the work and time to ensure that the paper titles stand up to handling over time. This photo shows the case binding with a (white) paper liner to help reinforce the book and a spine reinforcement in place. This is what the finished case looks like, all ready to glue a book into.
I'm planning on making the cases on Saturday. More later.